Charities & Support
There are many organisations working with young people in Scotland which need support. If you are considering applying to Enlight, please note that our Change Programme is currently closed for applications and our Strategic Programme is for local authorities by invitation only.
The aim of the Enlight Change Programme is not just to create stronger, more sustainable organisations that are world class, but also to encourage collaboration. Our plan is to work with many more charities in the coming years.
There are currently over 15,000 children in Scotland who are looked after by local authorities, an increase of 3 per cent since 2008. Every year that passes without our achieving any significant change could mean that at least another 5,000 children will start to be looked after.
• 42% leave care with no destination and become a NEET (not in employment, education or training) statistic
• 29% have been in trouble with the police in last year
• 45% of 5-17 year olds were assessed as having a mental disorder - most often conduct related.
• 30% of young homeless people have been in care
• 1 in 7 are pregnant or already mothers
• 23% of adult prisoners have been in care
• Poor educational attainment - 25% don't achieve even 1 Standard Grade at Foundation level
We have developed a series of exciting and innovative opportunities to work with local authorities to make a step change in achieving better outcomes for these most vulnerable children. Our focus will be on improving educational attainment. By ensuring young people have the skills and confidence to contribute to, and be part of, the wider economy we give them the secure footing they need to change their lives and, over time, the lives of their own children.
Applications for our strategic programme are by invitation only, however if your organisation is working with young people in care and you would like to be involved please contact us at email@example.com